Saturday, May 5, 2012

Fun on the sandbar

In true Vanessa Lynch fashion, when I throw a party I either go big or go home. So for Kerri's Dirty 30, she said she wanted to do something different with an intimate crowd. We've pretty much done it all (Clubs, dinners, stripper pole lessons), but I did have an idea up my sleeve: 
A day on the Kaneohe Bay Sandbar!






I wasn't in love with the 8 a.m-noon window, but beggars cant be choosey. 
Since we were sailing on Cinco de Mayo, I made some breakfast burritos (we devoured them before I could snap a pic), fruit salad and Nutella butter cream cupcakes for our voyage. The weather wasn't super fantastical, but it didn't rain and the trade wind breeze was a nice change of pace from the heat wave we have been experience.



Easiest recipe ever: Jar of Nutella, stick of softened butter, tablespoon of vanilla and some powdered sugar.

Happy Dirty 30 Kerri!

Our adventure wouldn't be complete without a few blonde moments, so I am going to put the bday girl on blast. 

Our first blooper happened when we needed to anchor. I couldn't drive the boat and place the anchor at the same time, so I voluntold Rachel to be the sacrificial lamb. During my class, we never actually got to anchor on the sandbar, but our instructor did tell us how to do it and it sounded simple enough. He did tell us to be wary of the depth as we approach the sandbar because the water can get very shallow very fast and if you are not careful, it could damage the prop. Since this was my first time out, I was hella nervous and the winds were not helping me. I presumed that when Rachel jumped in the water would be to about her knees, per what my instructor told me. Lies! She jumped in and the water was over her head! Anchor Fail 1.

Our final blooper happened when we needed to unanchor. The bday girl was jonesing to go for a swim so I told her to unanchor us. Well apparently I didn't give her specific enough instructors and my idea of unanchoring and her idea were very different. 

I expected her to unachor us, swim to the boat and then pull up the anchor from the bow. 

Kerri, on the other hand, had something different in mind. She unanchored us, and decided to swim the anchor back to the boat! News flash, anchors are heavy and designed to SINK! I blame it on her age =)


No comments:

Post a Comment