Saturday, April 28, 2012

Cap-i-tan Lynch, of the SS Minow


The idea was put into my head to get my pontoon boating license, so I went online, watched the videos and took the online test.

After passing the multiple choice online test, which you couldn’t fail if you tried because if you selected the wrong answer it told you so and let you guess until you got it right, I scheduled my “driving” test.

I needed some moral support, so I dragged asked my Aloha Blonde Wing Woman to tag along. Did I mention we had to be at the Marine Corps Base Marina at 9 a.m. on a Saturday, which meant we needed to be up at 7 a.m. and be out the door at 8 a.m. on a weekend?

Yupp, she is a true friend.

Anyhoo, I was obvs. freaking out about this “driving,” test because I felt the knowledge I possessed was not adequate enough to operate a vessel. Not to mention, this would be the first time I had driven a boat in forever.

To make a long story short, I passed the driving part and got my pontoon boating license. However, my confidence level is a wee bit low. I only drove the boat straight for a few minutes because everyone needed to have a turn.

My biggest fear is the anchoring. I can follow directions on how to get to the sandbar and avoid the reefs, but what if I anchor wrong? What if it gets stuck, or worse yet, the anchor comes loose and the boat drifts away?

I think if I get enough practice, but even that scares me because the people on my boat will be trusting me to get them out and back safely, I’ll gain more confidence in boating.

Needless to say I better be able to muster up some confidence because I rented a boat for my girl friends birthday this weekend and again for when my parents come for a visit :\








No comments:

Post a Comment