Monday, November 19, 2012

HSG

I purposely did not Google this procedure in advance because I can do a pretty good job of working myself up by myself. After canceling and rescheduling (when you don't get a period and need to rely on Progesterone to get one coupled with the fact the test can only be done between days 7 and 11 of your cycle and your body doesn't cooperate with the doctors time line, you get the idea) this critical test three times, I was just relieved that I could finally get it done.

Here is the skinny of the procedure:

A hysterosalpingogram, or HSG, is an X-ray test that looks at the inside of the uterus and fallopian tubes and the area around them.

During the test, a dye is put through a thin tube that is put through the vagina and into the uterus. Because the uterus and the fallopian tubes are hooked together, the dye will flow into the fallopian tubes. Pictures are taken using a steady beam of X-ray as the dye passes through the uterus and fallopian tubes.
 
The pictures can show problems such as an injury or abnormal structure of the uterus or fallopian tubes, or a blockage that would prevent an egg moving through a fallopian tube to the uterus. A blockage also could prevent sperm from moving into a fallopian tube and joining an egg. A hysterosalpingogram also may find problems on the inside of the uterus that prevent a fertilized egg from attaching (implanting) to the uterine wall.

An HSG is done for a couple of reasons:
1. Find a blocked fallopian tube. The test often is done for a woman who is having a hard time becoming pregnant. An infection may cause severe scarring of the fallopian tubes and block the tubes, preventing pregnancy. Occasionally the dye used during a hysterosalpingogram will push through and open a blocked tube.

2. Find problems in the uterus, such as an abnormal shape or structure, an injury, polyps, fibroids, adhesions, or a foreign object in the uterus. These types of problems may cause painful menstrual periods or repeated miscarriages.

3. See whether surgery to reverse a tubal ligation has been successful.

I would have loved for Chris to be there holding my hand and talking me through it but with his ECCC graduation around the corner and the last critical event happening this week, he wasn't able to go with me. This is the life I agreed to and I am just thankful he is here with me versus down range.

Anyway, I put on my big girl panties and was about to drive myself when a girl friend offered to be my support. I was hesitant to accept her offer, but I just knew having a familiar face in the room would relax me.

Before the actual test could be done I had to go to the lab and have a pregnancy test done. I would consider myself a pro at 1. taking them and 2. failing them (I've got 15 under my belt) so this didn't phase me. What got me all worked up was when my nurse started going over the procedure and what I could expect. My palms started to sweat and for those of you know what happens to my body when I get anxious/nervous, that was throbbing.

She left the room to gather the items we needed which left me and my support system alone in the room with the model of a vagina. In hindsight looking at the Mirena diagram probably made matters worse, but my friend showed me where they would insert the catheter and then the dye.

Ay carumba, all the way up in there!?

We walked down the hall, took the elevator down to radiology and I stripped down from the waste down and covered myself in a blanket and sat down on the x-ray table.

Now I was really begin to freak out and the reality that I was actually having this test done became very real. The nurse assured me this would be fast, and that once the dye was injected it would be less than a minute.

Here is how it went down, and yes I cried the entire time. Not because I was scared of the procedure per say, more so because I didn't know what to expect and I had mixed emotions about 1. actually being able to finally have this done (sense of relief since this is the final part of the workup and then I can get the results of all my tests, which will give me some answers and the big picture of whether we can have kids or not), 2.what this test could tell me on the spot (am I willing to walk down that path and how will I handle the results, be them good or bad). 3. the fact that I needed to have this test done finally hit me....

My doctor suited up, gloves and the xray protection gown donned, and put the metal speculum in, along with copious amount of lube. Man I hate that thing and that stuff.

Then he swabbed me with Iodine to prevent infection. That stuff smells.

This next part was the worst part. He inserted a small, thin catheter with a balloon tip all the way through my cervix, where they would place an IUD. The cramping was immediate. Then he added air to the balloon at the tip. Even more cramping!

I have never felt cramps like that before and I have never been that uncomfortable before (read: a strange man between my legs looking at my cashlapas, a speculum and a catheter all up in me, two nurses, a good friend and a radiologist in the same room).

The radiologist came in, set up the xray machine and then the doctor started inserting the dye inside. WOW! That's the only way to explain it. I wanted to bear down but that would have pushed the dye and the catheter out, but he nurse was right it was less than a minute in length.

I heard the doctor say that my uterus looked perfect and the tubes looked clear, then I covered my face and started to hysterically cry. I almost wanted to feel the "pop" the nurse mentioned because atleast that would mean I had blockage that the dye was able to open and push through. Atleast that would have given me a reason as to why we are having a hard time try to get pregnant. Instead I don't know why. I do know my "parts" look normal which is a good thing but then my mind starts to race. Is there a bigger problem or is this a quick hormone fix. I hate when I can't turn my head off.

I. Lost. It.

All my emotions came to a head. I was really in this room having this procedure done because I am an infertility patient. I can't have kids without medical intervention. Shit just got real.

I won't know what the big picture looks like until I can schedule a follow up appointment (for all you military spouses out there you know what a challenge this is in and of itself). I told my nurse that we are PCSing Dec. 14 and they need to fit me in somewhere. I don't care if they give me my results in a bathroom, I NEED to know what's going on and what options I have ASAP and before we get to our new location.

I am not starting 2013 without answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment