Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The home buying process-2

I had anxiety all night long because I didn't want to piss of this builder by pointing out a flaw in his work.

On top of that, my Realtor shared that an offer fell through on this very same house six weeks earlier because of the builder's attitude. In a nutshell, the couple asked for routine things in there offer and when the builder countered, he came back $5,000 above asking. Obviously the buyers told him to go sit on a field and they moved on to another home.

I don't know if I was glad she shared this detail with me or not.

Now I was hoping that the builder had come to his senses since he screwed his pooch earlier and since the end of the year is coming up that he would need to get these houses off his hands more than I needed to buy this house.

My anxiety kept me up most of the night so I was ready to get this offer written. I met my realtor and she said that he would indeed fix the wall and he would fix it with poured concrete and not rail road ties aka wooden beams.

Whew! Now we could officially write the offer!

Even though the builder scoffed at the laundry list of things the first couple brought to the table, I figured I'd ask for the ceiling and figured the worst he could say was no or pick between one thing of another. My realtor is aggressive, which I liked, and said the things I am asking for are not outlandish:

For him to pay a portion of the closing
Include and install a stainless steel, french door refrigerator with ice and water in the door to match the rest of the appliances
Wooden blinds in all the windows
Install a garage door opener
Maintain the yard and security of the home until we move in
Frame the mirrors in the bathroom
Place light fixtures above said framed mirrors in the bathroom
Fix the retaining wall

If push came to shove, and he would agree to everything but made me chose between the blinds or the fridge I'd pick the blinds, since this place has a ton of windows and they are pain and often costly to put in, and I could probably score a sweet deal at a scratch and dent place, risk my life during Black Friday or take advantage of a military discount at Lowes or Home Depot.

I signed the offer and we submitted it at noon and I expected to hear back from him by dinner time or sooner.

Man, this is nothing like what you see on HGTV.

My home buying companion and I met some of her friends for dinner but I could hardly eat. My eyes were fixated on my phone. I did ask them in advance if I could leave my phone on the table and explained I was waiting for an offer to come through.

Still no movement from my phone. I am pretty sure I even slept with it on my face.

I went to bed, even more anxious!

No comments:

Post a Comment