Saturday, June 25, 2011

Excuse me, how much!?


I am a firm believer in not upgrading your engagement ring down the road. The ring you are given is the ring you will have forever. Period. With that said Chris surprised me with the perfect, three diamond ring, set in platinum when he asked me to marry him May 2008.


Since it would be hard to match the diamonds for a wedding band, I had my heart set on a diamond eternity band, but it didn’t look right. Instead I opted for a simple, 2 mm white gold band to match the thickness of my engagement ring. It looked perfect and it didn’t cost an arm-and-a-leg (at the time we were not as financially secure as we are now).

However, after six months of wearing the ring combo as the new Mrs. Lynch I noticed my wedding ring started to turn yellow! On a return visit home I showed the jeweler what happened to the band and they told me they could put a rhodium finish on it for like $35. He said it would only take a few minutes while I waited and drooled over the jewels on display. No sweat. With the new rhodium finish on it, it looked like brand new.

Then, a few months after that it turned yellow again! So after searching all over Hawaii for a jeweler to give it some sparkle, I finally found a place, but they would have to send it out and it was going to cost me $70. It was so weird not wearing my wedding band. I felt a lil naked for a few weeks.

Now, here I am, almost three years and two rhodium coats later, and alas, my wedding band is turning yellow again. Since our anniversary is coming up in September I asked Chris to get me the same band I have now, but in platinum.

Thinking it wouldn’t oober expensive, since it’s just a plain, 2mm band, I asked a jewelry store if they had any. The lady replied they didn’t, but they could order me one for the tune of $700-$900 big ones! I was shocked! I couldn’t believe how expensive something so simple could be.  For that kinda green, I’ll suck it up and send it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment