Thursday, June 16, 2011

Getting my eat on

I am food lover, I live to eat! It took me a long time to get this body and I didn’t miss a meal in the process, so I have compiled a list of my Top 10 (thus far) favorite places to get my eat on. They are in no particular order, expect for No. 1 because it’s among the top restaurants in the country!):


  1. Alan Wong’s Restaurant
Impeccable service, a cool ambiance and fabulous food, what more can you ask for? Everything that comes out of this open-kitchen is killer. However, my tried and true favorite are the fall off the bone Kahili short ribs with a side of garlic mashed potato gratin that I want to rub all over my body.

  1. Opal’s Thai Cart
A good friend of mind ranted and raved about this place and now I know why! I wasn’t a fan of Thai food until I got it out of this guy’s truck. The drunken noodles and spring rolls are addicting.

  1. Mackey’s Shrimp Truck
I know shrimp out of a truck is weird, but that’s how they roll here in Hawaii. Out of all the shrimp trucks this is my favorite. I have fingertips of steels after all the times I couldn’t wait for the shrimp to be cool enough to peel (garlic shrimp cooked with the skin on makes them so much more ono, delicious in Hawaiian — look at me I am so cultured).


  1. Antipastos
A quaint and casual little Italian restaurant that serves yummy Italian fare.

  1. Assagios
This place gives Olive Garden a run for its money, with it’s a la minute menu. Slightly a little fancier than Antipasto’s, but priced right enough to visit more than just for special occasions.

  1. Cinnamons
This place serves, I kid you not, change-your-life, Red Velvet Pancakes.

  1. Duke’s
Super nostalgic. This place is in the heart of Waikiki and it has great ocean and beach views. The drinks are fun (I like the Tropical Itch becomes it comes with a backscratcher!), they serve a ginormous Mac-Nut-Pie, I too would swim to shore for it, and they serve some of the freshest fish around.



  1. Soul de Cuba
For a taste of Latin food, this little gem is tucked away in China town. They make killer sangria and yum-ola empanadas, just like they do back home.

  1. Creme Pot
      My husband would never be caught dead eating here because it's sooo girly! The place reminds me scene from a fairytale. Their a mini flowes in mini vases, the food comes out pretty (killer crepes) and there is even a hobbit door.





  1. Yard House
     Upscale bar food. Although it gets a lil loud in here, the food is fun (They have a "snack" section on their menu), the scene is cool and they have an extensive bev. list.


Some other places I find myself scoffing at are Moe’s Burritos, Aloha Salads (The closest thing we have to a Panera Bread in these parts), Whole Food’s Market (hands down my guiltiest of pleasures), a plate lunch place on post called Kiani’s (local style food), Dixie Grill (the drinks here are HUGE), Pizza Bob's Kailua (Nothing beats New York style pizza, HOWEVER, when I crave home-style pizza, I drive all the way to Kailua for this stuff) I promise I will post pictures soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment