Thursday, June 30, 2011

Korean BBQ


If there is one thing I enjoy doing in life, it’s trying new cuisines. After having a bad first experience with Thai food many moons again, I was reluctant to try it again. Boy am I glad I gave it another shot!

I have wanted to try authentic Korean BBQ and after my first attempt failed, I ended up hitting the biggest pothole in Hawaii to the tune of 600 big ones, on my way to have dinner with some friends. Epic fail!

Not to be deterred, I made a second attempt and made it in one piece! The place was very unassuming, but I have learned these places tend to serve the best food. With minimal décor, this place was a down to business as they come, just my style.

Since I was in uncharted territory I armed myself with my Korean BBQ expert, Stephanie. Good thing she was with me, I was so overwhelmed by the amount of side dishes! I wasn’t as taken about by the platter of raw, marinated meat that you cook yourself on a table side grills (I like to Be My Own Chef), as I was by the plethora of unfamiliar accoutrements it came with.


I could identify some of them like bean sprouts, cooked greens, cabbage and raw garlic. But then there were some new ones like some sort of fish that looked like soggy Fritos, pickled radishes, pickled spicy cucumbers and Miso paste.

Once I could label everything, the eating began. Basically, after you cook your protein, I ordered the beef and chicken, you layer everything into a lettuce wrap and away you go. Not the easiest stuff to eat, but I left completely satisfied. I don’t know what they put in their marinade but it knocked me out!

1 comment:

  1. I just love Korea. We lived there for 2.5yrs. I loved their meat..amazing..

    ReplyDelete