Thursday, August 11, 2011

Anxiety Part 2


After the episode I had last week I was really shaken up. I am a control freak and when I lost control of my own body I was devastated. Reluctant to call the doctor, my friends and husband convinced me it was something I needed to do, I just didn’t want to be labeled with some kind of “disorder.”

My doctor was really nice and he put me at ease. After I retold him what I experienced he said I was exercising symptoms of text book panic/anxiety attacks. He said my best course of action was to set up an appointment with a psychologist (to see if there is an underlying issue that needs to be addressed) and he prescribed me a low dose of Lorazepam to take when I feel an attack coming on or to take it during one.

I was super reluctant to go the drug route, but I don’t have to take it everyday. He said just to carry it with me, and when I need it, to take it. I can live with that.

He also suggested for me to not drink any caffeine (the horror) or any alcohol (sianara Moscato) and to increase my physical activity (no more couch potato) for a month to see if it helps. Worst-case scenario is if my episodes keep happening and the low dose of Lorazepam isn’t controlling them, the doc said I will have to take anti depressants for at least six months.

Let’s hope Plan A works.

No comments:

Post a Comment