Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Series of unfortunate events

They say bad things happen in threes. Well for me, bad things happen in multiples of threes. It all started when I picked up Casey from the airport and was leaving the parking garage.
I pulled up to pay and just as I was getting ready to hand over my ticket, when the attendant decided she had to use the bathroom! I couldn't back out of the stall I was in because there were five cars behind me. Agh! As soon as the other cars realize I am not going anywhere soon, they back up and then I followed suit. Once I had secured my spot in another line, the attendant came back!
Finally it was my turn to pay. The attendant instructed me to put my ticket in the machine, followed by my debit card. Simple enough, except my card got stuck! If you are counting that's two things in a span of about 15 minutes.
The next morning as we are enroute to breakfast, I get pulled over for speeding, going 50 in a 35! That is what happens when you are catching up with your BFF that you haven't seen in a year, while jamming out to Aqua's "I'm a Barbie Girl." Stupid speed limit signs. It's one thing  for me to get a ticket, but since my friend Kerri was following me, she also got one. I felt awful! If you are still counting that's 3/4.
I ate my feelings at breakfast and after we went Kayaking. The rest of the day was going smoothly until I turned my phone back on. I had six missed calls, two voicemails, three emails and a Facebook message!
Turns out when it was all from my grad school teacher. I had sent him an email the day before stating that I had emailed my OandP teacher (per direction to set up a time to meet) and the subsequently called her the next day to follow up on my email she never responded to and expecting to speak with the teacher,  a sub answered and  informed me she would be out all next week. I told this to my professor via email to let him know what my placement status was (ya know to keep him in the loop) and to find out what my next step should be for placement in the event this fell through.
To make a long story short he basically said I wasn't doing my "due diligence" and I needed to learn a thing or two about deadlines (hell-er you are talking to a NEWS EDITOR), to which I said EXCUSE ME! He accused me of not communicating properly with the OandP director, to which I immediately chirped back with "I have been in contact with her since June 2 (the semester didn't start until July 5) because  I knew placing me would be difficult and  I will be sending you all of the emails between her and I as proof." DON'T EVER call me a LIAR and DON'T EVER preach to me about deadlines. I was so pissed off by how unprofessional he was and how he was judging me without knowing that this was out of my hands.
In summation, my OandP teacher called me back and I was able to set something up for the coming week. It turned out that she her mother is ill and she was in Maui caring for her and didn't get my phone calls or emails until she came to work on Friday. When I explained to her that this shit storm all started as a result of her sub telling me that she was going to be out all next week. Apparently the sub had no idea what she was talking and had no business spreading misinformation.

The next couple days are going fine until the last day. That was the day my dad, brother and 94 year old grandma were supposed to come for a visit. That was also the day I was supposed to go do my OandP.
When I called the teacher the night before to confirm, like she asked me to, she didn't answer. I called twice and sent her an email. I was freaking out. I decided to get up and make my way down there anyway.
 Casey was being a good sport and suggested that I drop her off at Waikiki Beach while I did my OandP. As we were on the highway I got a call from the teacher at 6:36 a.m. calling for confirm that I was coming!? Good thing I listened to my gut!
Right before I was about to get out of my car and head into the school, my mom called. I had a bad feeling in my tummy. She informed me that the wrong sized plane came in and 30 other people got bumped and they weren't going to make it. I was devastated!
After that I was having a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day!

1 comment: