Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Casey Comes to Town Day 6


This marks Casey’s last full day in Hawaii — tear —. Donning our bathing suits we got up early, per the usual, and drove to Hanauma Bay for some snorkeling. Welp I am moron and totally forget the bay is closed on Tuesdays! I felt awful, but we were able to hike along it and we got some pretty great pictures of it.



Since our original morning plan fell through, I took Casey to get her history on at the USS Arizona Memorial. This place gives me the goose bumps. We saw the USS Bowfin, a submarine, and the Arizona, a very chilling place.


With my military ID I was able to take her to Ford Island, where the movie Pearl Harbor was filmed and where the actual attack took place. We were on our way to take a tour of the Battleship Missouri when I remembered that there was another ship memorial, the USS Utah, that tourists can’t get to because it’s in a housing area. It doesn’t get nearly as many visitors as the Arizona, so we went to pay our respects.

I have done the tour of the Missouri before, but being a history buff myself I didn’t mind hearing the stories again.



Our stomaches started grumbling and just in the nick of time, our tour ended! Since we didn’t get the chance to get wet earlier, I took her to my second favorite beach the lagoons at Ko olina. Heading over there worked out great because we could score lunch with a view, sun bathe, snorkel and we would beat the traffic home because it’s only a few exits from my house.

After a day of lounging at the lagoons, we had to head home early and get ready for a luau! I took her to Paradise Cove’s luau, because they make good Mai tais, the location is to die for and they offer stuff to do before the show. Plus it’s the only one I have gone to, but even after seeing it five times, I still like it.

We learned how to wear and tie a sarong, dance the hula, how to open a coconut, how to play Hawaiian games and how to make bracelets and head pieces out of flowers and grasses. We even got to ride in an out rigger canoe!











The luau was the perfect way to end our week together.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you had a wonderfil time. it's always great when family and friends visit...

    ReplyDelete