Friday, September 2, 2011

Lynch’s Take CT Day 1

It’s been a little more than two year since Chris has been back on the East Coast so he was well past due for a visit back to the mainland. I went back last October for my mom’s 50th birthday, so I too was itching to get off the rock.
We originally wanted to plan a visit back east in October to enjoy the fall and to see my mom for her birthday, but the military had other plans in store. Luckily I didn’t book anything too far out because we found out Chris would be making two trips to Korea: the first August into September and the second October into November.

Just a few days after returning from Korea, he was on a plan, with me in tow of course, for the nice 10+ hour schlep across an ocean and a continent. One of the perks of being a military family means we don’t have to pay for our luggage! Thank God because it would have cost us $50 and since we stocked up on some stuff we don’t have in Hawaii it would have cost us $75-$100 on our trip back because we acquired a third suitcase.  Thank you Uncle Sam!

We left Paradise around 4 pm, but not before we fueld up at a restarurant withinin the airport, had an hour and change layover in Dallas but I didn’t care because once we got into the airport, I spotted a sight for sore eyes: Dunkin Donuts! My lil legs couldn’t move fast enough. Equipped with a French vanilla iced coffee (light with three Splenda), a glorious pumpkin muffin and a bagel, I was a happy camper.





With most of our flight already behind us, the next four hours should have been a breeze. Fail! Between my anxiousness, the slight turbulence and my tummy not being used to D n’ D, I’ll spare you’re the TMI.

We touched down in Hartford at 11 a.m. and it felt good to feel the brisk cool air. Fall is my favorite season for so many reasons:  Crisp air, cooler temps, beautiful foliage, apple and pumpkin pickinh and yummy fall treats: pumpkin muffins, donuts, apple cider, cider donuts and the like.

After we got our luggage we made our way over to pick up our rental car, a white Chevy Cruze. Talk about a smooth ride. Now on the road, we had to make a pit stop before we got to Chris’ parent’s house because in my excitement to go to CT, I left behind some crucial items: my makeup bag, which also had all of my medication in it. Epic fail. Lucky for me, there was a duty free shop in the terminal and I was able to replace some items, but I had to wait until I got to CT to hit up a CVS to pick up my allergy meds.

Now that I had what I needed, I called Cheshire Pizza and ordered our favorite BBQ Chicken Pizza (We scarfed it down before I could even think of taking a picture of the pie). I make it all the time in Hawaii, and although I have perfected my version, nothing beats the original. With my pizza in hand, we headed over to Chris’ parents house, where we would start and end our trip. To accommodate both families  I drew up an itinerary. We would spend Friday and Saturday with his parents, and Sunday-Friday with mine -- I would drop off Chris Tuesday night so he could finish packing up his room (he didn’t have much time to do this before the wedding) and then pick him on Wednesday night—and finish off the trip with his parents Sat-Monday.

The plan for Friday was to take his parents out to dinner for their birthdays (Aug. 21 and 30) but his dad wasn’t feeling well, so it was just Chris, myself and his madre. Lucky for me she wanted to go to Olive Garden (score!). Soup, salad and breads sticks, enough said! I also ordered the lasgane fritti for an app. It’s basically individual lasagnas, deep fried (I know naughty girl, but hey I am on Vaca!) Then I got the pasta faglio soup and the pumpkin cheesecake for dessert. I heart pumpkin!




After spending a day in the air and stuffing our faces, it was an early night for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment