Wednesday, September 28, 2011

My Kind of Fried Rice


I am not a left over person per se. But in my house, leftovers are inevitable. I am so used to cooking for an Army (Me, my mom, dad, brother, sister, her boyfriend, the neighbor, my aunt and cousin and grandma and whoever else happened to linger around the house at dinner time) so cooking for two is tough!
Not wanting to eat the same thing again, I’ve gotten pretty good at morphing my meals. Nothing is worse that throwing perfectly good food away.
I usually always make too much rice and too many veggies and there is always some left over protein laying around. Light bulb! I can turn this into fried rice.
What you need:
2-3 cloves chopped garlic
2-3 tbs light olive oil (I like to infuse mine with garlic and ginger for this)
2 cups precooked, left over rice
1 cup precooked mixed veggies
1-2 cubs left over, chopped pork, chicken or beef
2 eggs scrambled
¼ cup or so of Soy Sauce
A drizzle of Sesame oil
The low down:
Start by scrambling the eggs in a good sized skillet ( I scramble mine in a lil bit of butter for flavor). Once scrambled, place in a bowl (I even use that bowl to eat out of once it’s all done. I HATE cleaning up the stuff I needed to prep the meal in) and wipe out the skillet. This is a one pan-er people.
Add 2 tbs. of garlic/ginger infused oil to a pan over medium heat. Once it’s hot add the veggies and protein to the pan to reheat.
After a few minutes, add in the rice and incorporate everything together. You should hear a sizzle when you add the rice. I like to push the veggies and protein to the side and create kind of a well in the middle of the pan. I like to add a splash more oil to the center right before I add the rice.
Add the eggs back in.
Once everything starts to heat through and come together, add the soy sauce (this is all to taste and for looks. I don’t like mine too salty or too dark so I go a lil shy of a ¼ cup, but in kitchen play with the amount).
Stir everything and let the flavors blend for a few minutes.
Turn off the heat and add a drizzle of seasame oil. I said a drizzle because this stuff is potent. Too much will kill any dish! Give it one last stir and dinner is ready!
Serve it up in bowls and you have a complete meal, only one pan to wash AND you emptied out the fridge. Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment