Sunday, July 3, 2011

BBQing


I love summertime and being a July a baby myself I am a bit biased about this time of the year. Aside from Thanksgiving and Christmas, the Fourth of July is one of my favorite holidays. No it's not my favorite because I am married to the military, it's my favorite because I like fireworks, being outside, grilling, spending QT with family and friends AND because I love being free!


My parents did a good job of explaining the meaning behind the different holidays when we were kids, so we always appreciated them a wee bit more once we found out there was more than just presents at Christmas, candy at Easter and fireworks on Independence Day.


This July I went all out and did two BBQs. Last Fourth of July we were brand new to the 84th Engineer Battalion and we didn't have any friends to spend it with. Hence why I did big this year. I am so lucky/blessed to have such an amazing friend base here and it called for a double celebration!




 BBQ #1
Menu:
Buffalo chicken dip (All the credit goes to Roisin on this bad boy!)
Corn bread (Alas, I bought it!)

Poifect every time Potato salad (I like to add bacon and chopped carrots) 
Mac and cheese with a bread crumb topping 

Fall off the bone, baby back ribs 

Teri-chicken (I had to give my gathering a Hawaiian flair)

S'mores
Flag cake (I finally conquered this bad boy! I also cut this recipe in half and used sliced strawberries v. raspberries)



BBQ #3
Menu:
Patriotic twice baked potatoes 

Grilled NY strip steaks
Teri-chicken
S'mores
Ice cream sandwiches (okay I cheated here. I baked off Pillsbury cookies. It's hot in Hawaii so give me a break!)


1 comment:

  1. Love the menu..i would have gave anything to be eating this on the 4th...
    Welcome to the world of Blogging..

    ReplyDelete