Monday, July 11, 2011

What's for dinner?

I used to go to the grocery store with a list of meals I wanted to prepare that week, and then our lives got chaotic with work and social outings and my methodic plan was cabashed. I am trying to reel in our spending by tracking how we spend money on this clever lil website my friend Emily turned me onto: www.mint.com. I am seriously addicted to this site!

I will usually do one large grocery shop and stock up on meats, frozen items, drinks and nonparishables because shopping in Hawaii makes me loco. I swear people take cereal off the shelves like there is going to be a blizzard! None-the-less my once favorite thing to do has turned into something I dread doing here.

I do pretty well on my once-a-month shopping spree but then here is the zinger: when I go to do a supplemental shop to pick up milk, bread and veggies, my cart gets full and I can spend another $60-$100 in no time. Yikes!

So now I am back to trusted list (which I will attempt to stick to). Here is what's for dinner this week:

Monday: Vovo Emily's marinated and grilled porkchops with mashed potatoes (for me) and stuffing (for the man).

Tuesday: Meat lasagne with garlic bread.

Wednesday: Chicken and pasta primavera.

Thursday: Leftover meat lasagne/chicken and pasta primavera because I will be working late.

Friday: Freebie: Ribs and chili provided by our Family Readiness Group =)

Saturday: Freebie: Whatever I pick off the Yardhouse menu because the girls and I are hitting the town for my birthday =)

Sunday: Thanksgiving anyday (Herb-butter roasted turkey breast, stuffing, mashed potatoes, rolls and cranbury sauce).

2 comments:

  1. Can I come for dinner this week...I have given up with the shopping list until my house is done and I can start living a normal life...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can come visit whenever (if it were only so easy). I cannot imagine not having a kitchen!

    ReplyDelete