Saturday, July 9, 2011

Chase’s Baptism



My friend Stephanie gave me the awesome honor of being her son’s Godmother and he was baptized on Saturday.

Before I got to dress him up like the Pillsbury Dough Boy, we (his parents, his Godfather and I) had to take a Baptism class. I was prepared to have to take notes and I was kind of bummed out when all we had to do was watch a really old, 20 minute video circa 1982.

After we watched the video the instructor gave as a brief history of baptism and one of things she said really sunk in: “Being a Godparent isn’t just a one day thing. Being a Godparent means you will continue to be a part of their life and act as a mentor and role model.”

I always planned to keep in touch with Stephanie but now that I am her son’s Godmother I have no excuse not to call, email or ask for pictures of the lil guy or let distance interfere with my lifelong responsibilities.

After we were approved to be Godparents, the fun started. I got to pick out his outfit and I bought him his first cross and Bible.

The day of the Baptism his mom and I spent the morning getting out glam on. We got our nails, footsies and hair done. I know I am vain, but I didn’t want him to look back on the photos and cringe. Once we were all dolled up, it was Chase’s turn.

Fresh out of the tub and with a new diaper on, I started to dress him in his lil outfit. 

Man are those things tough to put on! I put his hat on for the finishing touch, but he didn’t like it much so it was short lived.


I started to get emotional at the church (not a surprise, everything makes me weepy). Being in the church and hearing what the priest had to say about being chosen as a Godparent really made me feel so honored and blessed to be able to apart of his life, even after they PCS from Hawaii.

Agh I already want to cry!

I was really surprised that Chase, aside from one little girl, was the only one dressed, in my opinion, appropriately for the occasion. Maybe it’s a cultural thing, but every other Baptism I have been to, all the babies are dressed from head to toe in white. I was equally surprised that none of the seven babies being baptized cried. My mom said all the babies in my ceremony screamed their little lungs out.

The ceremony was pretty simple. After we reaffirmed our Baptism promises and accepted the awesome responsibility of being Godparents, the Baptism began. We were called up to the front of the congregation and the priest poured the holy water over his head, which I was instructed to dry up with the cloth they gave me, and then he anointed him with oil.

Once all the babies had been blessed and anointed, the Godfathers lit a candle and a prayer was said.


After the ceremony and the mass concluded, we took some pictures and headed into town for a celebratory dinner in Chase's honor. It was an awesome day!

No comments:

Post a Comment