Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Big Island Birthday Love Part 1 of 4

Shaka!


By far the best gift I got this birthday was a trip to the Big Island. We spent a day on Hilo and a day on Kona during our honeymoon cruise in November 2009, but we were anxious for a repeat visit.


I didn't sleep well the night before, but then again I never do because i'm like a 5 year old when it comes to going away (read I am just too darned excited!). After covering a pet expo for work, submitting a grad paper in advance, finishing up the laundry and cleaning the house (I get this from my mother), and then dropping off Oakley for his staycation with friends I was finally able to start packing at 10 p.m!


Luckily we both had most of our stuff laid out except for the toiltries, which always get packed in the morning, so by 11 pm I was ready for some shut eye. Eager to start our vacation, I booked us on the 7:30 a.m. flight so we would have a full first day on the Hilo said. Even though I was bright eyed and bushy tailed at 5 a.m. when the alarm clock went off, Chris wasn't exatcally thrilled (read he gets up at 4:45 a.m. for work).


Once we checked in and got settled at the airport we got some breakfast. Chris got a smoothie and a slice of lemon pound cake from Starbucks and I got an iced tea and a breakfast sandwhich from BK. I always need something greasy to settle my tummy whenever I fly.
Goodbye Oahu! See ya in a few days!

Aloha Big Island!







After picking up our sweet ride, a Ford Focus (note the sarcasm), we visited a few waterfalls: Akaka Falls, Rainbow Falls, Boiling Pots and PeePee Falls. 
Can you see why it's called "Rainbow Falls?"


The Boiling Pots weren't boiling per my guidebook's description.

It didn't take long for us to build up an appetite so we headed over to Ken's House of Pancakes for BFast number two. Hey we are on vacation people. Don't judge.

I'm a rebel! I ordered sweet bread french toast!

Oh caffeine, I love thee!


Now with full tummies, we started the trek to where we would spend the first half our trip: Kilauea Military Camp located inside Volcano National Park in (shocker) Volcano, HI. It's one of the many perks of being married to service member. 


KMC is walking distance from many of the amazing sights around the park, and overall it is very quaint. Kind of reminded me of a camp ground sans the tents, except this place had a Starbucks (I know I am cheating on D&D but a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do).


What I didn't know is this place used to be the sight for Japanese internment camps after WWII. In its 89 years of existence, KMC had served as a training facility, housed a Navy camp, hosted numerous dignitaries including Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower who later became the president of the U.S. and briefly served as an internment camp and later as a prisoner-of-war camp during World War II. Our cabin was located right behind the Eisenhower House. If you are a Colonel you can stay in Eisenhauer's 3 bedroom cabin. Pretty swanky digs.

Channeling the I Love Lucy vibe...

I see Mister Bubble in my near future!

This fireplace would come in handy!

Our sweet lil cabin.


After we checked in and took a lil nap, we venture into Pahoa where we would be taking a high-speed, sunset boat ride along the Puna coast. Sadly, no lava has flowed into the ocean since March 2010 but we did see some amazing lava fields, towering cliffs lava tubes, flying fish and a gorgeous sunset with Mauna Loa in the distance.
Lava tube!

Do you see the sea arch? Taking pictures on a high speed boat aint easy!

The owner's wife said she wouldn't move to Hawaii unless he built her a castle. Whelp, be careful what you wish for!

Highlight of the boat ride.
So handsome.



This boat ride was definitely not for the faint of heart. It felt like a water roller coaster as we hit some pretty big swells and got a face-full of spray. Overall it was pretty nice.


Since it was dinner time, and not many places would still be open in Hilo (I wanted to try a place called Cafe Pesto's that my friend Emily suggested) and the pickings would be slim back at KMC (read nada) our boat captain suggested a place nearby called Kaleo's.


I ordered kalua pork wontons to start and guava bbq ribs for my main. Chris got a steak. It was super yummy, affordable and had live music. When we got back to our cabin it clicked to both of us as to why the place had a fire place in it. The temp. dropped down to 58 degrees and we were COLD! We lit that bad boy, turned on the heat and hit the sack.






No comments:

Post a Comment